* Patrol: Vehicle / Bicycle / Foot: Patrol an assigned area in order to minimize the occurrence of crime, protect the peace, and serve the interests of the College. Respond to calls for police service. Investigate crimes, write detailed reports, protect crime scene, collect and secure evidence. Renders various types of assistance to all involved persons. Patrol the College buildings and grounds to minimize, deter and report safety and security hazards or violations. Patrol assigned roadways and parking lots, investigate irregularities. Facilitate the flow of vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Issue parking and traffic warnings and tickets. Make arrests when necessary.
* Respond to Police, Medical and Fire Emergencies: Render Emergency First Aid, evaluate the situation and if necessary request advanced medical personnel. Respond to calls for Police assistance and College security services. Serve subpoenas, warrants and other legal documents issued by the court system or College judicial process. Respond to motor vehicle crashes, direct traffic, police the accident, write report and take appropriate legal action. Assist other agencies when requested.
* Investigations/Report writing/Daily activity logs: Investigate all criminal complaints and citizen concerns as they relate to the College. Prepare detailed reports of criminal and non-criminal complaints, traffic crashes and other complaints investigated. Interview complainants, locate and interview victims, witnesses and suspects. Complete LiveScan fingerprinting. Work in conjunction with the Prosecutor's Office, other law enforcement agencies and the College's Judicial System
* Public Relations/Communications/Preventative Programing/etc: Provide Services –locked keys in vehicles, escorts, wrecker requests, directions, crime prevention and awareness. Work Dept. Communication area,dispatch, telephone operator, monitor alarm systems. Maintain good understanding of the College functions, general operation, and policies.
* Associates degree in Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice, Public Administration or equivalent knowledge and skills * Licensed by M.C.O.L.E.S. as a Police Officer * Possess valid, unrestricted, Michigan Drivers License * Must be able to work independently, with minimal supervision * Must be able to work with a diverse community, including students, employees, faculty and visitors * Must be able to work a flexible schedule including: days, afternoons, evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime * Must be physically able to perform all of the duties of a police officer, including sitting, standing, walking, running, driving a vehicle, exposure to inclement weather, and brief periods of intense exertion * This position is classified as essential personnel and may be required to work when the College is closed
Additional Experiences Considered:
* Bachelor Degree (Preferred major: Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice) * Valid certification for CPR/First Aid (Preferred: Medical First Responder Training) * Current training for use of force (lethal and non-lethal) * Current training in precision driving skills * Prior experience in a College or University policing environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Complete an on-line application and attach a cover letter with position title, resume, three current names of professional references, and copies of transcripts (official transcripts required upon hire) and/or certifications and licenses.
Position will remain open until filled. The College reserves the right to close the recruitment process once a sufficient applicant pool has been identified.
Part-Time, Pay Grade 5 (Starting Rate $21.89 – $24.29 Commensurate with Education and Experience)
Open Until Filled: No
Internal Number: 4926
About Delta College
Successful candidates must demonstrate experience, skills, and commitment to fostering an environment of diversity in student, faculty and staff.Delta College, established in 1961, offers 150 transfer and career certificate and associate degree programs, and enrolls nearly 11,000 students each semester at its main campus and three learning centers.Delta College enjoys a reputation as one of the nation’s leading community colleges. Contributing factors to this achievement are its enduring commitment to excellence, passion for innovation and focus on people. Those values can be seen in its AQIP Higher Learning Commission accreditation, charter membership in the National League for Innovation, Achieving the Dream participation, environmental stewardship and unique shared governance system.The College’s service area is comprised of Bay, Midland and Saginaw counties, each with its own appealing personality and features, located adjacent to Lake Huron in mid-Michigan. Delta College - one of America's leading community colleges!