IMPORTANT:? Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type 'None.'
If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
Job Summary: The University Police Officer provides law enforcement, security, public safety and traffic services in a community policing environment. This position is a sworn law enforcement officer reporting to a shift sergeant. The officer conducts patrols of campus, investigates or assists with investigations, completes complaint and investigation reports, secures facilities, directs and assists with traffic control, performs emergency services, and maintains positive and effective public relations in support of the campus.
1.Conducts patrols of specific assigned areas of the campus or the entire campus on foot and in a patrol vehicle responding to each need for public safety service that is brought to their attention through their observation, personal contacts or by communications from the dispatcher.
2. Conducts preliminary investigations of complaints and assists with supplemental investigations as assigned. Completes appropriate department reports on all complaints and results of investigations following department policies, procedures and protocols. Properly processes and stores evidence and other property.
3. Opens, closes, and secures facilities (pro-active security), controls access, responds to alarms, inspects facilities and initiates work orders for inoperative or faulty security and safety equipment. Detects suspicious activity with the purpose of prevention of crime and apprehension of criminals.
4. Directs traffic, assists motorists, conducts personal escorts and financial escorts, provides public safety services and crowd control at special events and campus activities, participates in crime prevention and crime reduction programs, attends community meetings on problem resolution and service support representing the department.
5. Maintains positive and effective public relations in support of the department and university while in the performance of their duties.
6. Enforces all applicable laws, university regulations, department policies and procedures. Makes arrests in accordance with state law and pursuant to departmental policy. Investigates and reports all complaints, incidents and accidents. Conducts traffic and parking enforcement.
7. Performs emergency services to include but not limited to: first-aid, CPR, AED, responding to fires and fire alarms, correcting and/or reporting fire and safety hazards, responding to disasters, severe weather problems and other emergency incidents.
8. Participates in orientation training, in-service, field training, and off campus training programs to enhance their professional skills and performance as may be required by the SC Criminal Justice Academy and/or the Director of Public Safety.
9. Completes additional tasks as assigned by the supervisor which may include assignments to other duties such as dispatcher, office work, community service staff functions, work in plain clothes assignments, participate in stake-outs or assist training officer.
10. Follows safety procedures.
11. Completes performance review process with supervisor/employees to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
12. Communicates openly and recognizes contributions of co-workers and supervisor.
13. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for services and information; including maintaining up to date information about the department and university. Completes training requirements set by the S.C. Criminal Justice Academy.
Continuous contact with members of own work unit, immediate supervisor, members of other departments, students, general public, and officials/representatives of outside organizations to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures.
Errors are readily detected in the normal course of work by standard check or crosscheck.
Reports To: Shift Sergeant
Work is performed independently on routine work, non-routine issues or questions are referred to the supervisor.
High School graduate.
Must have a valid SC Driver's License with a good driving record.
Acceptable background investigation required.
Has successfully completed the SC Criminal Justice Academy basic law enforcement.
South Carolina voter's registration card required by SLED.
Complete physical examination as required by the SC Criminal Justice Academy.
Work is performed during all weather conditions.
Work may require:
Exposure to violence and physical confrontations.
Frequent reaching and handling.
Frequent lifting and carrying.
Occasional crouching and crawling.
Occasional climbing and balancing.
Occasional stooping and kneeling.
Occasional walking, standing, and running.
Twelve hour shifts
Night shift required
Some overtime required as needed to support daily operations, special security assignments and event support.
$16 - $22/hour
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Furman University is a selective private liberal arts and sciences college committed to helping students develop intellectually, personally, and interpersonally and providing the practical skills necessary to succeed in a rapidly-changing world. Furman professors are exceptional teacher-scholars who mentor undergraduate students within a campus community that values and encourages diverse ideas and perspectives.