The Assistant Police Chief is responsible for assisting the Chief of Police in the administration and management of all departmental functions (including emergency management) of the Davidson College Police Department. Contacts are typically with department personnel, Davidson College leaders, faculty, staff and students, personnel from other law enforcement agencies, members of the news media, and the general public. Additional responsibilities include initiating disciplinary actions when necessary, participating in the hiring of new employees, and assisting in administration and oversight of the departmental budgets. The position must be able to work/ represent in the absence of the Chief. This position will require rotation from days to nights on a predetermined schedule.
Community Policing Responsibilities
• Creates campus community-oriented programs and prepares workshops to educate the campus community about safety awareness.
• Establishes an open communication network with departmental personnel, the President, Dean of Students and local and state law enforcement agencies.
• Demonstrates effective technical skills and presents information to the campus community, media and other civic groups.
Performance Standards: Must adhere to local, state, and federal statutes as well as DCPD policies and procedures, and departmental schedules and guidelines. Able to safely operate departmental vehicles adhering to state and local vehicular ordinances.
• Demonstrates outstanding interpersonal skills to build and maintain effective working relationships with members of the Davidson College Police Department staff.
• Effectively manages operations, administration, legal issues, and provides solutions for enhancing campus community-oriented policing.
• Conducts after-hours police operations such as checkpoints, building security checks, and campus security checks for nighttime safety enhancements.
Performance Standards: All tasks are performed in accordance with established departmental rules and regulations, investigative, and reporting techniques, standards, and guidelines.
• Available to work outside normal business hours, as needed.
• As an active member of the College Event and Emergency Management Team, available and willing to be present on Davidson’s campus for Weather other campus emergencies.
Performance Standards: Perform other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description.
(Note: Only the following two criteria – one education and one experience – will be used for screening qualified applicants.)
1. Bachelor’s Degree in criminal justice, Public Administration or closely related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
2. 21 years of age or older.
3. Minimum of 12 years of law enforcement experience, with 6 years of management experience in a higher education or municipal police agency at the rank of Sergeant or above required.
4. Must be North Carolina Basic P.O.S.T. (BLET) certified or be certified by an equivalent out of state agency with the ability to secure North Carolina P.O.S.T. certification within 360 days from date of hire, and maintain same as a condition of continued employment.
5. Must obtain Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification within 360 days from date of hire and must maintain certification as a condition of continued employment.
6. A combination of training and experience in investigations, police executive level training, instructor training and other advanced certification; advanced police executive education graduate of FBI National Academy, FBI-LEEDA Command Leadership Institutes, or Police Chief Executive Develop Program preferred.
7. Must have a valid and unrestricted driver’s license in order to operate Davidson College motor vehicles.
How to Apply: Please go to https://employment.davidson.edu and complete the online application, including a resume and cover letter. Review of applications will begin immediately.
At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.
Davidson College seeks out intellectually curious students who are committed to developing their talents for lives of leadership and service.Small classes enable our renowned faculty to work closely with students, engaging them directly in original research and creative work across the arts, sciences, social sciences, and humanities. In the classroom and beyond, Davidson cultivates students' compassion, creativity, resilience, and moral courage.