: Carnegie Mellon University Police Department is dedicated to serving the community on campus and beyond. We participate in many charity and community service programs and events throughout the Pittsburgh area. Our mission is to enhance and promote safety at the university through collaboration, proactive problem-solving, open communication and the delivery of professional and dependable police and security services. Our vision is to provide best-in-class police and security services to the Carnegie Mellon University community
We are now looking to fill a Dispatcher position that is responsible for handling emergency and alarm calls for the University Police Department. The Dispatcher will receive and dispatch emergency calls and other information between the campus community and on-duty university police officers. The person in this role will be responsible for keeping accurate records and performing other office duties in addition to managing emergency calls.
Core responsibilities will include:
* Receives emergency building maintenance calls, and notifies appropriate parties and on-call foreman in Physical Plant/FMS, Housing, Student Life, etc., per established protocols. In the event of a campus-wide emergency, makes notifications, coordinates communications and notifications, summons mutual aid assistance, and prioritizes communication center traffic.
* Maintains accurate and detailed logs and records of dispatch activities. Types, distributes, and files reports. Calls out open shifts to all members of appropriate job classes. Processes requests for copies of incident reports.
* Monitors campus email and replies or forwards as necessary. Assists with general office duties.
* Oversees the operations of the communications center and dispatch desk during an assigned shift. Ensures that all in-coming calls and visitors are dealt with properly and promptly. Assigns priority to requests for service. Enters data on all complaints and calls for service into CAD-RMS computer program. Monitors alarms. Provides general university information to callers and walk-in customers. Monitors outside agency channels for calls near campus. Monitors video feed from university security surveillance system.
* Receives requests for assistance via phones, walk-ins, two-way radio, etc. Monitors all in-coming fire, burglary, trouble, and intrusion alarms. Dispatches calls to proper police officer, guard, or traffic monitor. Dispatches Student EMS to on-campus medical calls. Transfers some medical calls to City EMS per protocol. Notifies immediate supervisor of emergency situations. As needed, notifies city medics, police, or fire departments. Point of contact for shuttle/escort radio communications.
We seek an individual who demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work independently to prioritize work and emergency calls. The position requires proficient computer skills and the ability to use both PC and Macintosh platforms. The office environment tends to be busy and oftentimes noisy. Weekend or evening shifts, as well as holiday shifts are required. Must be willing to work flexible shift schedule/hours, including mandated overtime and continuation of regular tour of duty. Willingness to join the Carnegie Mellon University Campus Police Association. Designated an "essential employee," may be required to remain on duty beyond normal shift and/or be available on a 24-hour basis to report for duty without prior notice due to emergencies or manpower shortages. Must maintain working telephone at residence at all times
* High school graduate, GED, or equivalent combination of training and experience
* One or more years of experience as a public safety communications dispatcher in a 911 emergency operations center, police department, or emergency medical services organization
* Ability to obtain authorization to access FBI/NCIC criminal history information through the PA CLEAN system within 30 days of hire
* Ability to recognize the full color spectrum; Must be able to hear and communicate using telephones and two-way radios, as well as face-to-face.
* Background check
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Full Time
Minimum Education Level: None Specified
Internal Number: 2015638
About Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon (www.cmu.edu) is a private, internationally ranked research university with programs in areas ranging from science, technology and business, to public policy, the humanities and the arts. More than 12,000 students in the university’s seven schools and colleges benefit from a small student-to-faculty ratio and an education characterized by its focus on creating and implementing solutions for real problems, interdisciplinary collaboration and innovation. A global university, Carnegie Mellon’s main campus in the United States is in Pittsburgh, Pa. It has campuses in California’s Silicon Valley and Qatar, and programs in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and Mexico.