Carnegie Mellon University's department of University Police Department is searching for a Police Officer. You will contribute to the department in a variety of ways. Designated an "essential employee," someone in this role may be required to remain on duty beyond normal shift and/or be available on a 24-hour basis to report for duty without prior notice due to emergencies or manpower shortages.
Core responsibilities will include:
* Conducting general police, security, and watchman-style foot and mobile patrols of property used, owned, or occupied in whole or in part by Carnegie Mellon University.
* Patrols will be required in in all weather conditions and temperatures.
* Protecting life and property and preserving the public peace.
* Insuring the safety and security of the campus, the assigned sector, and its occupants/users by enforcing all Federal, state, and local laws, and university policies.
* Investigating and making written reports concerning suspicious activity, persons, and unsafe conditions immediately.
* Providing general assistance to security guards and traffic monitors on request; and general information to university personnel and visitors.
The right candidate for this position will have excellent interpersonal skills, and will be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, in order to interact with a diverse community campus. The person in this position must have the ability to remain calm in difficult, dangerous, and high stress emergency situations and to deal politely and courteously with all campus constituents. This role requires flexible shift schedule/hours, including mandated overtime and continuation of regular tour of duty; willingness to join the Carnegie Mellon University Campus Police Association; the ability to pass extensive background investigation, drug and alcohol testing pre-hire (as well as reasonable suspicion and post-accident); and complete hazard communication training during provisional period.
* Must be at least 21 years of age.
* High School graduate, GED, or equivalent required. A Bachelor's degree or semester credit equivalent preferred.
* Successful completion of basic recruit training at a certified police academy within the continental United States required.
* Valid PA driver's license required
* Act 120 at a MPOETC certified academy required.
* One year of full-time (or two years part-time) police experience strongly preferred; Prior security or police experience in a college or university environment is strongly preferred.
* Prior security or police training preferred, Knowledge of and ability to properly use standard police radio Ten Codes preferred.
* Act 235, Act 501, CPR, AED, First Responder, and EMT certification/commission preferred; CDL license preferred.
Please visit "http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Job Function: Security / Public Safety
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Time Type: Full Time
Organization: UNIVERSITY POLICE
Minimum Education Level: None Specified
Internal Number: 2011971
About Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon (www.cmu.edu) is a private, internationally ranked research university with programs in areas ranging from science, technology and business, to public policy, the humanities and the arts. More than 12,000 students in the university’s seven schools and colleges benefit from a small student-to-faculty ratio and an education characterized by its focus on creating and implementing solutions for real problems, interdisciplinary collaboration and innovation. A global university, Carnegie Mellon’s main campus in the United States is in Pittsburgh, Pa. It has campuses in California’s Silicon Valley and Qatar, and programs in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and Mexico.