Division: Operations and Maintenance Reports to: Director of Campus Police
Employment Status: Full Time; Calendar Year
JOB SUMMARY: The Campus Police Officer position is a uniformed patrol position. The position requires a flexible work schedule that includes assignment to shifts covering days, evenings, overnights and holidays as required to meet the needs of the police department. Individuals in this position are responsible for protecting the lives and property of the campus that they serve. The job requires the ability to spend long hours in a vehicle as well as long hours at standing at a fixed position. Officers are responsible for properly preparing all paperwork and forms required by the department, the college or the courts. The job must be performed under all types of inclement weather conditions as well as in extreme heat, cold, wind, rain and snow conditions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The statements below are intended to describe the principal duties of theperson orpersons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities. Lasell College has the right to add or change thejob responsibilities at any time.
1. Patrolling the Lasell Village campus 2. Responding to medical emergencies and provide first aid as needed 3. Lifting, carrying and moving victims, or suspects, as needed 4. Physical interactions with individuals who are actively resisting arrest 5. Responding to fire alarms 6. Performing interior and exterior checks of college buildings 7. Responding to burglar alarms 8. Enforcing the parking regulations 9. Writing reports incidents 10. Working cooperatively with Residential Life staff to resolve issues 11. Transport students, in unusual circumstances,to locations on campus 12. Performing desk duties at the Campus Police office 13. Preserving college property by taking actions that stop property destruction from mechanical malfunctions or breaks 14. Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL AND VISUAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB:
Physical Effort May require physical interactions with individuals when required to perform regular law enforcement duties including but not limited to; running, climbing walls, fences, ladders, subduing and arresting individuals who may be actively resisting efforts to have them comply with lawful orders.
Visual Effort Above average visual effort with frequent exposure to visually demanding work involving detailed work.
• Work is performed in an environment requiring occasional exposure to weather extremes, fumes , odors and/or noise.
• Occasional exposure to job hazards, resulting in some injury, lost time, or threatening to one's personal health.
Lasell College is committed to equal opportunity in every aspect of hiring and employment. Lasell proactively reviews its policies and practices to assure that decisions with respect to every dimension of employment are made without regard to age, color of skin, disability, gender expression and identity, genetic predisposition, marital status, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran's status, status as a victim of domestic violence, and all other protected groups and classes under Federal and State Laws and executive orders.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED BY THE JOB: Education level: Associates Degree and the successful completion of the Reserve Intermittent Police Training Academy or successful completion of either the 17 week SSPO, Campus Police Academy, or successful completion of a Municipal Police Academy
Other Requirements of the Job:
• Ability to react calmly and think rationally in emergency situations • Communicate effectively and understand and carry out complex instructions • Recognize non-standard activities, missing items/people, hazards, and details.
The position does require forced overtime as needed to insure proper staffing levels and community safety.
The position also requires the ability to work alone at time and closely with others as a member of a team.
CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION OR LICENSURE REQUIRED BY THE JOB: Must possess and maintain an up to date:
• State Police Warrant Certification, • Class A, Large Capacity, License to Carry Firearms • Valid and active license to operate motor vehicles • Any additional licenses or certifications that may be required
About Lasell College
An innovator in education for over 150 years, Lasell College today is a comprehensive coeducational college offering professionally oriented bachelor's and master's degree programs. Our 50-acre campus is located in suburban Newton, Massachusetts-within eight miles of downtown Boston at the heart of the Route 128 high-tech corridor.
We are known for helping students make the connection between classroom lessons and real life through hands-on activities such as internships, practicum, service learning, and meaningful projects.