Police Officer Trainee
City of Concord
Salary: $19.96 an hour
Opening date: 02/06/17
Closing date: Continuous
If you are interested in a career in law enforcement, there is an opportunity for you to become a Police Officer Trainee in the Concord Police Department. As a trainee, you would be assigned to
attend an upcoming POSTapproved Police Academy. Acceptance by the Academy, which includes successfully passing a POSTapproved written examination, is a condition for employment in this position. During the 6month Academy program, you would receive the academic and physical training required for appointment to the position of Police Officer. Upon successful completion of the Academy, you would typically be appointed as a Police Officer and begin serving an 18month probation period with City of Concord Police Department.
Candidates will be paid the hourly Trainee rate of $19.9690/hour while attending the POST Basic Police Academy. The Trainee position is a nonsworn, entrylevel training position. Employees in this classification are temporary, atwill employees with only mandatory benefits as required by law, and do not have Police Officer status while attending the Academy. Employees do not get promoted as a sworn Police Officer until they complete the Academy. Upon successful completion of the Academy and appointment to the position, candidates will receive the annual salary and full benefits of a regular full time, sworn Police Officer with the Concord Police Department.
The ideal candidate will have the equivalent of 60 college semester units or more. Only applicants with at least 30 semester units will be considered. The classification of Police Officer requires 60 college semester units, or the equivalent. If selected, those employees must obtain the additional required semester units within the first four (4) years of employment. Candidates with at least three (3) years of recent military experience may substitute their experience for 15 semester units.
A TScore of 58 or higher on the California POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery is required. POST assessment results are valid within one year (12 months) from the date that the test was administered.
The City of Concord will not be administering the Law Enforcement entrance assessment testing; however, we will accept scores from any POST participating agency on official agency letterhead. Qualifying TScores must be attached to your application at the time of online submission. TScores must be provided on agency letterhead.
For more information regarding the testing standards, please visit the POST website at www.post.ca.gov. Age
At least 20 1⁄2 years of age at the date of application.
Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for, and who has applied for, citizenship at least one year prior to application for employment. Application for citizenship shall not have been denied.
A California Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record are conditions of initial and continued employment.
A limited number of applicants who clearly show that they most closely meet the needs of this position in terms of training, experience, education, and other jobrelated characteristics and possess a valid POST participating agency TScore of 58 or better (issued within the past 12 months on official agency letterhead) will be accepted to participate in the selection process. This process will include evaluation and initial screening of the standard online City application to determine which candidates progress to the next phase of the recruitment process. The subsequent selection process may include a panel interview and a final departmental interview.
Candidates moving forward will be subject to an extensive background examination including a polygraph test, psychological exam and physical. (Use of illegal drugs/narcotics within the past year will disqualify an applicant. Sales of illegal drugs will disqualify applicants.)
Once testing is complete the Chief of Police shall review the background and postconditional offer assessments and make the final determination as to whether a formal job offer is to be made.
In conformance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, requests for reasonable accommodations may be made to Human Resources (925) 6713407. For administrative purposes, requests should be made when the online application is submitted.
Police Officer Standards
To be a candidate for the position of Police Officer, you must fulfill all of the following:
- Age: The candidate shall be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Character & Background: The candidate shall possess traits including initiative, alertness, integrity, reliability, courtesy, and good judgment; shall not have been convicted of a crime by any state or federal government for which the punishment could have been imprisonment in a state prison or federal penitentiary.
- Hearing: The candidate shall have normal hearing acuity.
- Weight: Weight shall be in good proportion to height.
- Physical & Mental Condition: The candidate shall be of sound physical condition and adequate physical stature, and possess strength, endurance, and agility demonstrable in tests of physical performance and medical examination. The applicant shall be of good mentality and emotional maturity, in good health, and free from chronic disease, impairment of bodily function, loss or impairment of the use of any digit, history of psychosis or psychoneurosis, or other disabling defects.
- Vision: The candidate shall possess normal color vision and visual functions. Each eye must be free of any abnormal condition or disease which might adversely affect performance of duty and there must be visual acuity of not less than 20/100 vision in both eyes without correction for glass wearers and not less than 20/200 vision in both eyes without correction for contact lens wearers.
The City of Concord is an Equal Opportunity/Veteran's Preference Employer.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, express or implied and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. It is a policy of the City to refuse to consider a person for a position whenever that person's relationship to an employee, elected or appointed official, or member of a board or commission has the potential for creating adverse impact on supervision, safety, security, or morale, or involves a potential conflict of interest.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
Position #201600046 POLICE OFFICER TRAINEE KC
1950 Parkside Drive Concord, CA 94519 9256713308
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency