Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice, Leadership or a closely related field, Master's Degree preferred, and at least ten (10) years of progressive law enforcement experience with a minimum of five (5) years in a senior or command level position as a sworn officer in a department comparable to size. Completion of advance police management and leadership training, such as the FBI National Academy, Southern Police Institute, Police Executive Research Forum's (PERF's) or Senior Management Institute for Police is required. Pursuant to M.G.L. c.75, s.32A, this position also requires certification or the ability to obtain Commonwealth of Massachusetts municipal police certification; U.S. citizenship; a Massachusetts driver's license or the ability to obtain one; a Massachusetts Class A license to carry permit or the ability to obtain one and must successfully complete a psychological evaluation.
The Associate Director/Deputy Chief of Police must have a strong understanding of, and commitment to, diversity, equity, and social justice, and the ability to create inclusive work and campus environments.
- Must be a U.S. citizen;
- Must possess valid driver's license;
- Must possess valid MA license to carry;
- Ability to re-qualify with departmentally-issued firearm and all departmentally-issued non-lethal weapons;
- Applicants will be subject to a background investigation;
- Ability to physically perform the essential functions of a job.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of state laws, rules, and regulations, and the ability to interpret new laws, rules and regulations correctly and accurately;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), 2008 Higher Education and Opportunity Act (HEOA), 2013 Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act (VAWA), and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972;
- Working knowledge of personnel management;
- Working knowledge of budget processes and systems; and facilities security administration;
- Demonstrated success in leadership and supervisory positions in a Department of Public Safety in a college or university;
- Extensive training and experience in criminal investigation including areas such as interview and interrogation techniques, fingerprinting, photography, crime scene search, etc.;
- Ability to make sound decision and awareness of their consequences;
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of Authority and the public;
- Ability to stand, walk and sit for long periods of time;
- Normal visual acuity and manual dexterity.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is committed to providing a safe and secure environment that is supported by qualified employees for all of its students, faculty and staff to carry out the University's teaching, research and public service missions. As a condition of employment, the University will conduct appropriate background check reviews. For more information, please see the University of Massachusetts Boston campus policy and procedures for employee background reviews:
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter, and list of three professional work references.
- Professional Non-Union.
- Full time. Benefited.
- Unrestricted funding.
- Salary not to exceed $99,500.
Closing date for applications: May 2, 2017.
The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, the University of Massachusetts Boston complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the university operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. Among the procedures which may be used to select personnel to fill vacant positions are review of work experience, reference checks, and interviews. All appointments and promotions will be effective on a Sunday.