**All higher education Classification Specifications shall be available at the Dept.of Higher Education website: www.mass.edu **
Official Title: Campus Police Officer I (Grade 15 before Academy Training, Grade 16 Academy Trained)
Department: University Police
Supervision Received: Chain of command: Shift supervisor, Captain, and Chief of Police
Supervision Exercised: None
General Statement of Duties: Supports the campus community, while providing exceptional customer service to the students, staff and faculty in the community. Primary duties are patrolling the campus via foot or cruiser, securing and checking buildings, grounds, and adjacent areas and enforcing state laws as well as departmental rules and regulations of the institution. Works in collaboration with the local community and the Worcester State University Police Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Patrol the buildings and grounds of the University on foot or in a patrol vehicle to ensure the security of buildings and grounds and to guard against trespass, theft, damage to property, fire and injury.
2. Enforce state laws as well as the rules and regulations of the institution; restrain or arrest suspects when necessary.
3. Provide assistance to courts or grand juries in the prosecution of cases.
4. Enforce University traffic and safety regulations.
5. Identify criminal offenders and criminal activity and where appropriate, apprehend offenders and participate in subsequent court proceedings.
6. Protect constitutional guarantees.
7. Facilitate the movement of people and activities.
8. Identify problems that are potentially serious in nature to the University and law enforcement or government entities.
9. Create and maintain a feeling of security in the community.
10. Promote and preserve civil order.
11. Provide other services on an emergency basis.
12. Perform specific duties and responsibilities as required by the Chief of Police or his/her designee.
13. Responsible for the efficient performance of all duties in conformance with the rules, regulations, policies, procedures and orders contained in all manuals issued by the Department.
14. Other duties as assigned within the Campus Police Officer classification
a. Classification specifications are available at http://www.mass.edu/foradmin/humanresources/classspecshrd.asp
Working Conditions: Campus Police Officers work under exposure to injury resulting from dangerous weapons, physical and verbal abuse and adverse weather conditions; carry firearms; work with people under physical and/or emotional stress; work alone in isolated or high-crime areas; walk and stand for prolonged periods of time; lift and carry heavy objects or people; may travel for job related purposes; and may be required to furnish private transportation for job-related travel for which mileage is reimbursed.
1. Be eligible to be warranted as a Massachusetts Special State Police Officer (SSPO) as defined by the Colonel of the State Police and MGL Ch. 22C Sec. 63.
a. Successfully pass the Massachusetts State Police Academy medical examination, pre-screening (which includes physical endurance testing) and successfully complete the Special State Police Recruit Academy. Failure to meet the entrance requirements or to successfully complete the course of training shall result in dismissal or, for lateral appointment within the bargaining unit, return to previously held position in accordance with the AFSCME Agreement.
b. Ability to pass a pre-employment medical exam.
c. Ability to pass an extensive background investigation and CORI Check
No person, who has been convicted of a felony or any offense punishable under M.G.L. Chapter 94C (drug law violations); or has been con
Worcester State University is a public institution of higher learning set on 58 acres in the residential west side of Worcester, Massachusetts. We are dedicated to preparing students for personal success, rewarding careers, and effective citizenship in the 21st century.We offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs in the traditional liberal arts and sciences, teacher education, biomedical sc...iences, business, and the health professions. Worcester State University is dedicated to offering high quality, affordable undergraduate and graduate academic programs and to promoting the lifelong intellectual growth, global awareness, and career opportunities of our students. To this end, we value teaching excellence rooted in scholarship and community service; cooperate with the business, social, and cultural resources of Worcester County; collaborate with other institutions of higher learning in the region; and develop new programs responsive to emerging community needs.Worcester State University was named the ?Best College in Worcester County? in Worcester Magazine?s Readers Poll seven out of the past ten years. The Princeton Review also designated the University a 2007 ?America?s Best Value College? and a ?Best Northeastern College? from 2005-2013.Worcester State University is within an hour?s drive of all major population centers in New England. We invite you to contact us or stop by for a visit soon!