Police Officer (Lateral)
City of Concord
$38.74 - $51.81 Hourly
$80,579.20 - $107,764.80 Annually
*Annual Salary of $107,764 requires Bachelor's Degree & Advanced P.O.S.T.
**Classic CalPERS members are eligible for tier 1 retirement**
(3% @">@ 50)
The City of Concord also offers Police Specialty Pay (MOU section 9.7) and a Master Police Officer and Master Police Sergeant Program (MOU section 9.10)
The Concord Police Officer is typically the first line of contact with the public on behalf of the City. A large part of the Officer's role is to facilitate the resolution of problems by bringing together appropriate resources and to solve reoccurring problems. Community-Based policing is integrated into the traditional public safety activities of our Officers. Police Officers may be armed and may be assigned to work in uniform or plain clothes. Flexible shift schedules include 4-10 and 3-12 options, which may be changed periodically as job assignments may be rotated among patrol, traffic, criminal and juvenile investigation, radio dispatching and administrative services. Specialty assignments may add up to 5% additional pay. These assignments include Bicycle Patrol; Crime Scene Investigation; Detective (Special Victims Unit, Major Crimes Unit, Financial Crimes Unit, Special Investigations (Gangs/Drugs), and Violence Suppression Unit); Downtown Beat/Foot Patrol; Gang Unit; K-9 Unit; School Resource Officer; Community Impact Team; and Traffic. Corporals, Field Training Officers/Police Training Officers and members of the SWAT Team can also receive additional pay.
The Police Officer duties require initiative, resourcefulness and the ability to analyze situations and in emergencies, to adopt a quick, effective and responsible course of action. The work involves frequent contact with the public and requires the ability to deal with persons in tense situations where relations may be strained. Additionally, Police Officers perform related and other work as required, all within the context of the City's Mission, Vision, and Values Statement and should hold a strong progressive customer service orientation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Patrols an assigned area by car, motorcycle, or on foot to observe, investigate and report suspicious and hazardous conditions; and apprehends and arrests law violators.
2. Responds to routine and emergency calls for protection of persons and property and for the enforcement of City ordinances and State laws.
3. Investigates crimes, accidents, deaths and disturbances and gathers evidence; interviews, questions, and takes statements from complainants, suspects and witnesses and completes case reports.
4. Takes charge of juveniles and delinquents and works on cases involving unfit homes and crimes committed against or by juveniles; handles missing persons cases and works with community organizations and governmental agencies in delinquencies and delinquency control programs.
5. Directs traffic, including regulation of vehicle flow at times of emergency or congestion; stops drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws; and issues citations.
6. Appears in court to present evidence and testimony in connection with criminal prosecution.
7. Searches, guards, transports and assists in the booking and custodial care of prisoners.
8. Serves writs, warrants, subpoenas and other legal documents.
9. With required State certification, may perform Paramedic duties by providing Advanced Life Support (ALS) emergency medical care.
10. May be assigned to assist in conducting special studies of crime prevention, traffic control or other Police Department problems.
11. Provides information and direction to the public and assists in developing community crime prevention programs and may speak before business, school, civic and social groups.
The ideal candidate will have the equivalent of 60 college semester units. Lateral Entry candidates with at least 30 semester units will be considered. If selected, those employees must obtain the additional required semester units within the first four (4) years of employment. Candidates with at least three (3) years of recent military experience may substitute their experience for 15 semester units.
Police Service Standards - To be a candidate for a position in this class, the applicant must fulfill all of the following:
Minimum Age: The candidate shall be at least 21 years of age at the time of Lateral Entry or Academy Graduate appointment.
Character & Background: The candidate shall possess traits including initiative, alertness, integrity, reliability, courtesy, and good judgment; and shall not have been convicted by any state or by the Federal Government for a crime, the punishment for which could have been imprisonment in a federal penitentiary or a state prison.
Hearing: The candidate shall have normal hearing acuity.
Weight: Weight shall be in good proportion with height.
Physical & Mental Condition: The candidate shall be of sound physical condition; be of adequate physical stature, and possess strength, endurance and agility demonstrable in tests of physical performance and medical examination. The applicant shall be of good mentality and emotional maturity, in good health, and free from chronic disease, impairment of bodily function, loss or impairment of the use of any digit, history of psychosis or psycho-neurosis, or other disabling defects.
Vision: The candidate shall possess normal color vision and visual functions. Each eye must be free of any abnormal condition or disease which might adversely affect performance of duty and there must be visual acuity of not less than 20/100 vision in both eyes without correction for glass wearers and not less than 20/200 vision in both eyes without correction for contact lens wearers.
Lateral Entry: To be eligible for Lateral Entry consideration, an individual MUST meet the above general requirements and have satisfactorily completed, in another jurisdiction, a probation period for a peace officer classification which is comparable to Concord's classification of Peace Officer and possess a P.O.S.T. Police Officer Basic Certificate.
License: Must possess a valid California Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record as a condition of hire and of continued employment. When assigned to Paramedic duties, a valid Contra Costa County accredited California Paramedic Certificate is required.
Citizenship: Must be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and who has applied for, citizenship at least one year prior to application for employment. Application for citizenship shall not have been denied.
The City of Concord is an Equal Opportunity/Veteran's Preference Employer.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, express or implied and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. It is a policy of the City to refuse to consider a person for a position whenever that person's relationship to an employee, elected or appointed official, or member of a board or commission has the potential for creating adverse impact on supervision, safety, security, or morale, or involves a potential conflict of interest.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1950 Parkside Drive
Concord, CA 94519
POLICE OFFICER (LATERAL)
Police Officer (Lateral) Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Each applicant must complete this supplemental questionnaire as a part of the application screening and selection process. The information you provide will be reviewed and used to determine your eligibility to move forward in the selection process. Incomplete responses, false statements, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process. Do you agree to answer each supplemental question truthfully and that your responses can be verified from information included within the application?
* 2. Which best describes the number of completed semester and/or quarter units you have taken in college?
Zero Units Completed
1 unit to less than 15 units completed
15 units to less than 30 units completed
30 units to less than 60 units completed
60 units or more completed
* 3. How many years of recent military experience do you have?
0 to less than 1 year
1 year to less than 2 years
2 years to less than 3 years
3 years or more
N/A - No military experience
* 4. Have you have satisfactorily completed, in another jurisdiction, a probation period for a peace officer classification which is comparable to Concord's classification of Peace Officer?
* Required Question
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency