Patrols an assigned area during an assigned shift and looks for indicators of possible criminal activity or threats to life and property; answers calls for police services; makes field contacts and completes forms; may conduct both preliminary and follow-up investigations. Makes arrests as necessary; serves warrants and subpoenas; conducts searches and seizures; interviews victims, complainants, and witnesses; interrogates suspects; gathers and preserves evidence; receives, searches, and books prisoners; fingerprints and transports prisoners; testifies and presents evidence in court. Contacts and cooperates with other law enforcement agencies in matters relating to the investigation of crimes and the apprehension of offenders. Writes reports and field notes; participates in staff development; attends briefings and training sessions; performs routine maintenance on assigned patrol vehicle, firearms, and other equipment. Makes traffic stops and issues warnings, citations, investigates vehicle accidents, provides emergency medical care as necessary. Assists the public and answers questions; administers first aid and responds to calls for medical assistance; establishes and maintains good relationships with the general public.
- Lateral Entry: At time of appointment, candidates must possess or be eligible for a California Basic P.O.S.T. Certificate. Please submit P.O.S.T. Basic, Intermediate or Advanced Certificates at the time of application.
- Academy Graduate: At time of appointment, candidates must have successfully completed a California P.O.S.T. approved Basic Academy within the last 3 years. The P.O.S.T. Basic Academy Certificate must be submitted at the time of application.
- Academy in Process: Applicants must be currently enrolled at a California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) approved Police Academy and must graduate prior to hire.
- All Candidates: Must have a high school diploma or equivalent; possess or be eligible for a valid First Aid and CPR Certificate; be at least twenty-one years old at time of appointment; weight proportional to height; uncorrected vision of 20/100 or better in both eyes and must be corrected to 20/30; normal color vision; possess sufficient strength and agility necessary to perform the duties of a Police Officer; possess a valid California Driver’s License at time of appointment; and live within a reasonable response time of the Police Department.
Additional Salary Information: POLICE OFFICER I, II, III*
*This position may be assigned to work as a
Detective or School Resource Officer
Police Officer I: $3,766 – $4,810 per month
Police Officer II: $3,940 - $5,029 per month
Police Officer III: $4.120 - $5,255 per month
-Public Employees Retirement System: The City provides the PERS retirement program at the following formulas: 2.7%@57 for new members and 3%@55 for classic members. The City does not participate in Social Security.
- Holidays: Thirteen holidays paid bi-annually.
- Vacation: Vacation leave starts at 80 hours annually increasing to 200 hours based on time in service.
- Sick Leave: Sick leave accrual of 12 days per year.
- Medical, Dental Life Insurance: The city offers medical, dental and life insurance coverage. Employees currently pay a percentage of the medical premium.
- Uniform Allowance: The City pays $817.50 per year.
- P.O.S.T Certificate Pay: An officer may earn 2.5% certificate pay for Intermediate certificate and 2.5% for Advanced certificate. (Total for Intermediate and Advanced Certificate 5%)
The City of Lakeport in beautiful Lake County is located in the
heart of Northern California’s wine country. Lakeport is home
to the shores of freshwater Clear Lake and Mt Konocti and sits
just north of the Napa Valley, east of the stunning Mendocino
Coast, two hours by car from the Golden Gate Bridge and the
Sacramento Valley and three hours from Mt. Shasta. Lakeport
has all of the benefit...s of a close knit community and small
town charm along with quick access to many of California’s
famous landmarks and tourist destinations. With its temperate
climate and the cleanest air in the entire nation for the third
consecutive year according to the American Lung Association’s
State of the Air reports, Lakeport is an amazing place to call