As a sworn member of the University Police Department, the Police Officer conducts general police, security, and watchman-style foot and mobile patrols of property used, owned, or occupied in whole or in part by Carnegie Mellon University. Patrols will be required in in all weather conditions and temperatures. Protects life and property and preserves the public peace. Insures the safety and security of the campus, the assigned sector, and its occupants/users by enforcing all Federal, state, and local laws, and university policies. Investigates and makes written reports concerning suspicious activity, persons, and unsafe conditions immediately. Provides general assistance to security guards and traffic monitors on request; and general information to university personnel and visitors.
The right candidate for this position will have excellent interpersonal skills, and will be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, in order to interact with a diverse community campus. The person in this position must have the ability to remain calm in difficult, dangerous, and high stress emergency situations and to deal politely and courteously with all campus constituents. This role requires flexible shift schedule/hours, including mandated overtime and continuation of regular tour of duty; willingness to join the Carnegie Mellon University Campus Police Association; the ability to pass extensive background investigation, drug and alcohol testing pre-hire (as well as reasonable suspicion and post-accident); and complete hazard communication training during provisional period.
Designated an "essential employee," someone in this role may be required to remain on duty beyond normal shift and/or be available on a 24-hour basis to report for duty without prior notice due to emergencies or manpower shortages.
- High School graduate, GED, or equivalent required. A Bachelor's degree or semester credit equivalent preferred.
- Successful completion of basic recruit training at a certified police academy within the continental United States required
- One year of full-time (or two years part-time) police experience strongly preferred; Prior security or police experience in a college or university environment is strongly preferred.
- Prior security or police training preferred, Knowledge of and ability to properly use standard police radio Ten Codes preferred
- Valid PA driver's license required
- Act 120 at a MPOETC certified academy, Act 235, Act 501, CPR, AED, First Responder, and EMT certification/commission preferred; CDL license preferred
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the City of Pittsburgh, particularly the Oakland and Shadyside neighborhoods preferred
- Good working knowledge of and an ability to utilize Microsoft Word, FilePro, CAD-RMS, and related law enforcement hardware and software
- Physical Mobility:
- Ability to traverse campus grounds and climb stairs during building checks
- Ability to lock and unlock doors, operate/use all standard police equipment, radios, and firearms
- Must be able to pass fitness for duty assessment and pre-employment medical exam
Please visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world. http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html. A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html.
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.