Department: University Police
University Police – Master Police Officer
(lateral entry – continuous recruitment)
This position is for individuals who are currently Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS)-certified as a police officer in the commonwealth of Virginia, or are eligible for recertification under DCJS guidelines with 40 hours of Mandatory In-Service Retraining.
The George Mason University Police Department, a CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies)-accredited agency, invites applications for the position of Master Police Officer (lateral entry). The department is actively seeking a depth of experience and abilities. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Candidates must be able to perform law enforcement and security functions within the University Police Department. Duties, responsibilities and requisite skills include but are not limited to: providing vehicle, bicycle or foot patrol of the campus; responding to calls for service and on-view suspicious activities; resolving complaints; investigating criminal and traffic incidents; providing first responder aid when required; and other duties as assigned. The George Mason University Police Department subscribes to a robust community-oriented policing philosophy in order to fulfill its mission.
To be considered as a lateral entry candidate, applicants must meet the following qualifications at the time of application:
- Must currently be certified as a police officer in the commonwealth of Virginia by DCJS, or eligible for recertification under DCJS guidelines with 40 hours of Mandatory In-Service Retraining;
- Posses substantial law enforcement experience that qualifies the candidate to operate at the Master Police Officer-level;
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Be at least 21 years of age;
- Have U.S. citizenship;
- Have a valid motor vehicle operator’s license;
- No driving under the influence (DUI) convictions or illegal drug use within the past two years;
- No felony convictions or convictions of misdemeanors involving crimes of moral turpitude or gross misconduct;
- Successfully complete a physical agility assessment;
- Successfully complete a polygraph, physical and psychological examination;
- Successfully pass an in-depth background investigation;
- Successfully complete a mandated Field Training Program administered by the department; and
- Must live within 75 miles of the Fairfax campus.
- Five years of law enforcement experience is preferred; 10 or more years is strongly desired;
- Certified and experienced as a Field Training Officer;
- Supervisory experience;
- Certified and experienced trainer or subject matter expert: firearms, defensive tactics, Emergency Vehicle Operators Course, Drug Recognition Expert, DUI or similar area;
- Experience in investigations, narcotics work, Homeland Security, intelligence or similar;
- Experience in community-oriented policing; and
- College degree.
The current salary for police officers upon graduation from academy training is $46,705. Lateral officers may be eligible for a higher pay rate upon hire; this is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and is commensurate with experience, training and education.
As openings occur, the initial steps of the hiring process include a successful review of the application/Personal History Statement, successful completion of the department's physical assessment, and an assessment of body art/piercings. The best qualified candidates will be invited to an oral interview panel. Post Conditional Offer requirements include an in-depth background investigation including polygraph; and satisfactory completion of a medical examination and a psychological assessment.
All lateral officers will be required to complete a one-year probationary period. Mason offers a comprehensive and attractive state benefits plan, including a tuition benefit. Lateral officers may be eligible to continue in their existing retirement plan or begin a new retirement plan under the Virginia Retirement System/Virginia Law Officers' Retirement System.
This online application is equivalent to the commonwealth of Virginia state employment application and is required. It must be fully completed.
Salary: $46,705-$55,200; commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01313z at http://jobs.gmu.edu; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
Applications will remain active for a maximum of six (6) months from date of application. To reactivate your application after this period or to update any materials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants must provide a valid e-mail address, as all communications from the department will be electronic.
Applicants will be e-mailed further information about the process, including a Personal History Statement, after their online application has been reviewed.
George Mason University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer encouraging diversity.