Under administrative direction of the Police Chief, commands the day-to-day activities of one of two divisions, either support services or operations. Plans and coordinates the activities and operations of law enforcement staff within assigned divisions of the Police Department, and provides highly responsible and complex staff assistance to the Police Chief. This is an exempt position, and part of the Unrepresented, Confidential, Professional & Management (MGMT) Group.
Typical duties include the following:
-May serve as acting Police Chief as assigned.
-Assists in the development and administration of the department budget; forecast funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; recommend adjustments as necessary.
-Coordinates the organization, staffing and operational activities for assigned law enforcement services and staff.
-Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned programs and staff; recommend and implement policies and procedures.
-Prepares and presents technical surveys, special staff studies, and other written reports on assigned projects.
-Responds to highly complex and sensitive Police-related matters, including major crime scene coordination and critical incident management.
-Coordinates and disseminates newsworthy events and media relations for department activities.
-Establishes and maintains effective communication with city and government agency representatives, outside law enforcement officials, community and business leaders and other individuals; serves as departmental liaison to such groups as assigned.
-Coordinates, implements, and manages responsibilities for all department operation functions, assignments, and programs including S.W.A.T., and special teams and programs; assign work activities and projects; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems.
-Coordinates crime prevention programs, goals and objectives.
-Attends and participates in professional group meetings and committees; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of law enforcement.
-Provides relief to any subordinate personnel from duty during emergency situations or as needed.
-Recommends, trains, motivates and evaluates law enforcement personnel; provides or coordinates staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; investigates reports of personnel misconduct and makes disciplinary recommendations to the Police Chief.
-Performs other related responsibilities and duties as assigned.
-Police methods and procedures, including patrol, crime prevention, traffic control and investigation techniques.
-Federal, State and local laws and ordinances, particularly with reference to arrest, search and seizure, and evidence.
-Rules of evidence pertaining to search and seizure and the preservation and presentation of evidence in criminal cases.
-Principles and practices of effective administration, budget, accounting, information technology, management, supervision, evaluation and training, business letter writing and report preparation.
-Testify under oath.
-Effectively supervise subordinate staff, as well as oversee and evaluate the work of assigned personnel.
-Effectively use a variety of law enforcement equipment including discharging firearms.
-Interpret, apply and explain complex laws, codes, regulations and ordinances.
-Identify and respond to sensitive community and organizational issues, concerns and needs.
-Effectively represent the department and the City in meetings with governmental agencies, community groups and various business, professional, educational, regulatory and legislative organizations.
-Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
-Analyze situations effectively and interpret and apply laws and departmental rules and regulations.
Additional Salary Information: Vacation: Starting with 10 days per year, increasing with years of service
Sick Leave: Accrual of 12 days/yr
Holidays: 12 days/yr
Medical: City pays $653/month of employee premium, $1,257/month of premium for employee with one dependent, and $1,640/month of premium for employee with two or more dependents
Dental: City pays full premium for employee and partial premium for family
Vision: City pays full premium for employee and family
“Classic” members of CalPERS participate in a formula of 3% at 55, with the employee paying a 9% member contribution, plus a 3% cost sharing contribution for a total of 12%. An average of three highest years is used for final comp calculation.
New members to CalPERS are subject to PEPRA, which includes a formula of 2.7% at 57, with the employee paying one-half of the normal cost (currently 11.5%) contribution, plus a 3% cost sharing contribution, for a total of 14.5%. Effective July 1, 2018, the PEPRA member contribution will be 12%, plus a 3% cost sharing contribution, for a total of 15%. An average of three highest years is used for final comp calculation.
The City participates in Social Security
Life Insurance: $200,000 city paid.
Deferred Compensation: The City contributes $4,200 per year; no match required
Administrative Leave: 56 hours per year
Employee Assistance Program: The City pays 100% of the cost of this program for you and your family
Bilingual Pay: Verbal: $100 /month; Written: $25/month
About City of Paso Robles
Located halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, in San Luis Obispo County, the City of Paso Robles is 27 miles from beautiful beaches and surrounded by scenic rolling hills and California’s premier wine regions. Founded in 1889, this thriving community of approximately 30,000 possesses the benefits of a suburban-rural community, retains a small-town feel, and is one of California’s best kept secrets. With over 200 wineries nearby and a bustling downtown with a variety of excellent restaurants and quality retail, Paso Robles is fast becoming one of the most desirable and yet relatively affordable places to live, work, shop and play.